Friday, July 3, 2009

Lincoln the Union and Personal Ridicule

Lincoln although an abolitionist, like many of his predecessors was primarily concerned with sustaining the Union. The country could have become two or more countries had the south seceded. During the Civil War, Lincoln showed his pragmatism with the following statement:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." -- Abraham Lincoln

Although his presidency was difficult, Lincoln always managed to keep perspective and a sense of humor.

"I have endured a great deal of ridicule without malice, and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it." -- Abraham Lincoln

http://www.pippoproducts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment